Getting the right video editor for fulfilling the needs of the user has always been a task.
While choosing between Shotcut Vs Kdenlive video editors require a lot of factors to be kept in mind for getting the perfect product which is capable of doing every single task as required.
The comparison between Kdenlive Vs Shotcut will bring out all these key points and factors on which a user can choose the best one out as per their requirements.
In the year 2021, videos are used as the primary marketing tool for the promotion of organizations. These both have opened the opportunities for the ones who have just budded up and want to try their hands-on video editing.
Shotcut as well as Kdelive has always been the first choice for the newbies while they start in the field of video editing with zero cost involved in it.
Further in the article, you would be able to find the information regarding both of the editors individually as well as the comparison between both for a more clarified view for picking the right one up.
Shotcut Video Editor
The search for an editor ends here for the users who require a smooth interface and a variety of tools to work with, for them Shotcut video editor is a great option.
It is a popular opensource hence free of cost video editing software developed by Meltytech. The shotcut video editor is capable of creating videos up to a resolution of 4K quality.
It offers everything to its users ranging from splicing and locking tracks to waveforms and multi-track editing using the user-friendly interface and intuitive quick actions given by Shotcut.
Using Shotcut the basic video editing tasks can be done very quickly.
It is proved that a top-notch video editor doesn’t always have a high cost associated with it. Shotcut video editor is free of ads and does not require an in-app purchase.
Shotcut is a good choice for the ones who have just yet started to work with video editing and want the best results from their editor.
- Numerous Formats Available: Shotcut offers Multiple Audio and video formats available for the videos. With FFmpeg, which makes it easy to work with, without doing any conversion before editing the footage.
- Multi-format timeline: Shotcut lets the user mix and matches resolutions according to the frame rates in a project and exports a single frame in the form of image or video as an image sequence.
- Audio Adjustments: It allows different audio filters to be applied over to the audio associated with the video. The task is done using audio scopes such as loudness, waveform, spectrum analyzer for mixing, and visualizing the levels.
- Audio mixing: The audio could be mixed within the editor across all tracks with Stereo, mono, and surround sound.
- Video Effects: Shotcut offers composting of video footage across video track with color correction, grading, blending modes, and much more.
- Editing Flexibility: Shotcut comes with 3-point editing for easy trimming and cropping options in a multitrack timeline with Scrubbing and transport control for the video clips.
- Encoding: Shotcut offers back encoding to be done in a variety of formats with a job control option.
Why Choose Shotcut Video Editor? (PROS)
- The editor gets the updates frequently with advanced tools and features to be found every time.
- Shotcut offers stock videos and audios to be applied to the footage as per the preference of the editor.
- It comes with an intuitive and pleasant user interface for making the task easier for the user.
- Bugs are being constantly fixed with every new update.
- The wide selection of formats removes the hindrance of videos to be converted into supported formats before the editing takes place.
- Shotcut video editor is code independent and does not rely on system
- The shotcut video editor does not fully-utilize the high-end hardware installed on the client machine for processing and rendering the videos.
- The professional editing tool introduced in the editor, which is background wind noise removal does not work efficiently and with enhanced detailing.
What is unique about Shotcut?
From the vast selection of video formats available which makes it consistent and hassle-free working, offering professional editing tools and that too free of cost to its users.
Who’s it for?
Shotcut Video editor is basically for the Hobbyist users and the beginners who want to try out their hand in video editing with plenty of tools.
Supported Platforms: Shotcut video editor is available for Windows, Linux as well as macOS.
- Operating system: 32 or 64-bit Windows 7 – 10 | Apple macOS 10.10 – 10.15 | 64-bit Linux with at least Glibc 2.19
- CPU: x86-64 Intel or AMD | at least one 2 GHz core for SD | 2 cores for HD | 4 cores for 4K.
- GPU: OpenGL 2.0 that works correctly and is compatible. On Windows, compatible DirectX 9 or 11 drivers.
- RAM: 4 GB for SD | 8 GB for HD | 16 GB for 4K.
- Hard Drive: Depends upon the usage and output of the video which has to be stored.
Shotcut video editor is free of cost for macOS, Linux, and Windows platforms.
Kdenlive Video Editor
Kdenlive is a Video Editing Software, an open-source video editor that is free to its users.
The beginners generally prefer Kdenlive as their primary video editor while they start the journey in the field of video editing.
Kdenlive is a Non-Liner editor that runs on a stable version of the Operating System and is capable of rendering the videos without any failures.
It is from the branch of KDE that supports dual video monitors, a multi-tracking timeline, offering a view with an organized and streamlined panel.
Kdenlive runs on frameworks such as MLT framework, Qt, KDE, which makes it stable and offers a resource approach to its users. The effects and transitions are the major factors that make it the best amongst its users.
- Wide Range of Formats: It comes with various codecs and file formats that make it possible for the files which are created in different devices to work in the given software without the use of any third-party software.
- Keyboard Shortcuts: It comes with one-click configurable keyboard shortcuts for editing to be quick and easy to work which can be customized according to the ease of the user.
- Monitoring: Kdenlive has the scopes to Monitor the audio and color levels for a detailed form of information for making the footage balanced, which is done using Audiogram, Histogram, and a few more.
- Multi-Track: The audio and video tracks can be placed upon one another in the timeline for working in the timeline simultaneously.
- Backup: Kdenlive saves the project from the failures by automatically backing up the data in time intervals to reduce the loss.
- Compression: By proxy, the user can create low-resolution copies of the footage which can be used later on any other device where the videos could be rendered in the actual high resolution of the footage.
Why Choose Kdenlive Video Editor? (PROS)
- It does not require any third-party software for editing and mixing the audio.
- The interface is intuitive and easy to use for beginners to learn and get their hands over to it.
- It is packed with various templates and effects to make the video more appealing.
- Kdenlive is an open-source and free of cost software for the users.
- The auto-backup saves users from data loss.
- The storage is efficiently used with the application of proxy.
- The user only gets the basic tools for editing, and professional tools are not available for editing.
- Kdenlive analyzes the meta-data in an inferior way.
- A project manager is not capable of managing the updates, and the user has to browse the website for the new releases.
- The broken process makes the video rendering and production slow while working on multi-dimensional videos.
What is unique about Kdenlive?
Kdenlive is known for its color and audio monitoring scopes and grading capabilities which make it more effective in terms of audio and color balance adjustments which can be used on the video footage for better results.
Who’s it for?
Kdenlive is for the enthusiasts who want to try their hands-on to the video content creation as a beginner, or they are some occasional users who use video editors but not so frequently.
Supported Platforms: Kdenlive is developed for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Ubuntu operating systems.
- 32bits or 64bits computers with a modern Processor (AMD 64 or Intel mono/dual-core systems).
- A fast hard disc with more than 20 GB of free disc space.
- A firewire interface for camcorder capture.
- At least 1Gb of RAM.
- Screen size: 1024×768 or more. Any computer produced after 2005 should meet these requirements. You may only need a firewire interface.
For advanced use and semi-professional work, we recommend investing in a modern computer with:
- AMD Phenom Quad-core processor.
- 4 GB of RAM.
- Three SATA discs for RAID-5 usage
- A recent video card with dual display.
Kdenlive is free of cost for all of the platforms on which it is capable of running.
Main Differences Between Shotcut Vs Kdenlive
Below are the top differences between Shotcut Vs Kdenlive Video Editor from which you can pick the best product as per your need and requirement which are as follows:
 Proxy Editing is available in Kdenlive, but Shotcut does not offer this functionality for compression.
 A shotcut video editor comes with batch encoding with job control, whereas Kdenlive does not provide any such functionality.
 Comparing based on updates and bug fixation, Shotcut offers more updates to its users than Kdenlive.
 Shotcut supports OpenGL 2.0 GPU for graphic acceleration; on the other hand, Kdenlive works on its traditional approach of basic hardware acceleration.
 Shotcut lets the user add extra system display by Blackmagic Decklink card on NTSC monitor, but Kdenlive has no as such offering for the users.
Which Software Is Better For Video Editing, Shotcut, or Kdenlive?
The Shotcut video editor is undoubtedly the better one if compared with Kdenlive in so many factors such as speed, performance, Rendering quality as well as in full utilization of resources.
With its Easy and User-Friendly interface Shotcut makes it easy for beginners to learn the software without facing many issues.
Shotcut Vs Kdenlive Video Editor: Who’s the Winner?
If the user is getting much more in a product of compared to others, and that too without paying a single penny for the same.
Shotcut which is much stable and comes with an organized layout for its users will have the upper hand.
With lots of functionalities given by shotcut makes it the winner with many factors associated with it.
So, Which One Should You Pick?
From my point of view while choosing between Shotcut Vs Kdenlive I would go for Shotcut Video editor due to its graphic acceleration capabilities with Open GL which makes the performance more efficient and effective.
The tools provided in the Shotcut video editor are more enhanced and are capable of letting the user perform more elegant and detailed operations in the video footage.
With its audio mixing capabilities, the user does not have to work on a third party mixing software which makes it more powerful and an editor filled with features and functionalities.
Hopefully, you have found this Shotcut Vs Kdenlive comparison guide worthwhile and it has helped you to make an informed choice about these two video editing software.