Commercials, films, short-films, social media, theatres- videos; they’re the present, and the future. Videos and films are a form of expression. A method for people to connect, come closer and share their creativity with the world.
Now it isn’t about how much you spend on the recording device. It could be a Canon 5D or it could be your smartphone camera. It doesn’t matter. As long as you can express and convey your story, it’s good enough.
And then comes post-processing: Editing. This is one of the most important parts of the process. There is a vast multitude of editing software out there today, but don’t know which the best video editing software is? We have done the research for you in our Video Editing Software Comparison guide.
Best Video Editing Software Comparison & Reviews
To select the best video editing software from the hundreds of options available, you need to look at what you require from the software. And then you need to see if the software provides those features or not.
In order to effectively select the right program, follow our video editing software comparison, which covers all the important features and functions in detail.
Features such as color grading, motion tracking, NLE, audio editing and support for 360-degree and 3D video are some of the important features that are found in the best video editing software.
Below is the list of 18 incredible Video Editing Software with features, pricing with customer reviews. Let’s take a look at them:
Adobe Premiere Pro is the flagship video editing software from Adobe. It has long been the industry standard video editing software, given its extensive features and class leading performance.
A customizable and clean UI, incomparable set of tools, and powerful performance helping you create the highest quality content. In the latest version, Adobe has added support for 360 VR, 4K (and higher resolutions), and the Lumetri Color tool and Adobe Rush – a cloud based remote working application.
Adobe continues to take user feedback and refine the platform, fixing glitches and errors in its top-of-the-line video editing software, Premiere Pro CC.
Premiere Pro works seamlessly with other design and creative apps such as Lightroom, After Effects, Photoshop, and so on.
Now, with Adobe Sensei, an AI-based tool, editors can easily optimise their footage to get the best content from it. Premiere Rush allows users to work on their edits from any synced device, anywhere on-the-go.
Being the first on our list for our Video Editing Software Comparison guide, let’s take a look at its highlights.
- Lumetri Color Tools: Color curves have two axes with which you can achieve precise tones, just the way you want them. This makes selective color grading easier than ever before.
- Advanced Audio Mixing: With features such as ambient noise reduction and a new functionally designed Essential Sound panel, audio editing for your videos becomes much easier.
- VR Support: Adobe Premiere Pro offers end-to-end VR 180 features to create immersive, high-quality Virtual Reality content. The video can also be edited to be viewed in anaglyphic form.
- Multi-Cam Editing: To create professional-looking pro-shot videos, Premiere Pro offers you an advanced Multi-Cam angle editor, with unlimited camera angles supported. The program can also sync shots based on their audio.
- Automatic Titles on Sequence: In a film with hundreds of titles that you have to add to the sequence, Adobe gives you a solution. Now you can lay markers as to where you want the titles, and use the automate titles on sequence feature; Premiere Pro will do the work for you.
Why Choose Adobe Premiere Pro? (PROS)
- Premiere Pro has a great stabilisation engine.
- The user-interface is a neat, functional and customisable.
- Premiere Pro’s tools are organisational and intuitively placed.
- A highly integrated work experience and smooth responsiveness.
- Users can normalize audio levels from multiple clips to the project.
- Editable shortcut keys and hotkeys.
- Premiere Pro might fail to open 360 degree action-camera shot footage without conversion to equirectangular
- Some features require external apps such as SpeedGrade
What is unique about Adobe Premiere Pro?
Adobe Premiere Pro CC is the complete video editing package. Top of the line features that any professional content creator may need, yet with an ease and simplicity that makes even the amateur editor feel like a professional;
Premiere Pro offers an extensive amount of format support and allows you to work with 4K and VR 360 content, as well as a variety of audio codecs and formats. The program is highly integrated, with all the features you may need built into a single application.
This means you have to rely less on third-party software and spend less time switching back and forth between apps to get your work done.
Premiere Pro also gives you an easy sync with other Adobe Creative Cloud apps, with Premiere Rush, meaning you can work on your designs and videos between different apps, through any device, at any time.
Who’s it for?
Premiere Pro is built as a professional video editing suite. It is used by professional video editors and content creators globally. Even so, the learning curve is manageable and with the tutorials included with the software, it becomes even easier.
So in short, anyone can go ahead and try using Adobe Premiere Pro CC, and work on producing high quality videos.
To purchase Adobe Premiere Pro as a single app, it costs $239.88/year. This is a prepaid annual plan, with full services and support for the entire year.
To subscribe to an annual plan with monthly payments, it will cost you $20.99/month. This method allows you to pay monthly and yet have service for the entire year.
Another payment option is available, which is a strictly monthly-based plan and this will cost $31.49/month. You can decide to renew this after every month if required.
Adobe Premiere Elements isn’t just great video editing software, it is also a tutor.
This software from Adobe is a great place for novices and amateurs to start their video editing journey. Premiere Elements has a variety of features and effects, and works well as basic, entry-level video editing software.
If you’ve been a user of Adobe Premiere Pro, you might find this a little basic and in short, a stripped down version of Premiere Pro. Elements 2020 is divided into three sections: Quick, Guided and Expert.
On installing the software, it offers the above mentioned three modes of operation. Users can select the mode according to their experience level. This changes the number of features and tutorials available while editing.
These settings can be changed later. Additionally, Premier Elements can be configured to offer guidance even in the Expert mode, should you need it.
- Guided Video Editing: Premiere Elements lets users edit and work on footage and make it look professionally created. There are tutorials and guides to help you quickly master basic video editing and move on to more advanced editing.
- Video Organisation: You now have to spend less time searching, organizing and arranging, because Premiere Elements does the job for you. The program can sort your clips by a variety of filters and sorting methods.
- Candid Moments: Another essential feature in Elements, photo capture using Candid Moments; this lets you take screen captures from videos in high-quality and save them separately.
- Social Media Integration: For all those content creators looking to improve their social media feeds through videos, Elements has just the solution for you. Premiere Elements offers animations, filters and other exciting additions for you to create engaging social media posts and directly allows you to post them.
- Intelligent Editing: Adobe Premiere Elements scans videos to find the best scenes and best captures; so while editing, it will suggest which of the two scenes you should pick based on lighting, angles and other data it receives from the footage.
Why Choose Adobe Premiere Elements? (PROS)
- Video and Photo Organisation
- Visual Effects and Enhancements
- Audio Editing and Music Remixing
- Automatic Adjustments and Intelligent Scene Detection
- Editing tutorials and guides
- Quick transitions and Movies
- Limited features as compared to Premiere Pro
What is unique about Adobe Premiere Elements?
Premiere Pro offers three A/V channels which can be used to add footage from different camera angles. Editors can also make changes to video parameters such as brightness, contrast, sharpness- and save these edits as a layer that can be applied to multiple clips.
These features and Adobe’s Creative Cloud integration make Elements a strong and capable video editing platform.
Who’s it for?
Adobe Premiere Elements is targeted at novices and amateur video editors, as this software helps them learn quickly and improve their skills.
However, it still contains advanced editing features and can be used by professionals for quick and basic transitions and editing.
Adobe Premiere Elements is offered as a one-time purchase/perpetual license. To buy the standalone Adobe Premiere Elements 2020, it costs $99.99. The Adobe Photoshop Elements+Adobe Premier Elements bundle can be purchased for $149.99.
Apple brings its latest NLE (Non-Linear Trackless) video editing software in the form of Final Cut Pro X. The initial release of Final Cut Pro X was in June 2011, and this is available for download from the App Store on Mac, iMac Pro and MacBook’s.
Final Cut Pro X has all the advanced video editing tools any professional might need. It offers a trackless magnetic timeline, which detects and arranges footage into an order according to a timeline.
Editors also get Multi-Cam functionality, keyword and annotation management, 360 degree video support and more. The project libraries, toolkits and media centres are all arranged in an intuitive and smooth manner.
Another great feature about Final Cut Pro X is the way Apple has created its performance structure. Final Cut Pro X detects which processor it is working on and optimises its performance by distributing its tasks on cores and threads accordingly, to give users a blazing fast work experience.
Here we will take a look at some of Final Cut Pro X advanced features and what sets it apart from its competitors.
- Accelerated Metal Engine: With Apple’s all new Metal Engine, users can work at a much faster rate while working with complex projects and higher frame rates and sizes and more effects.
- Optimisation for Mac Pro: Apple users benefit from the optimisation engine on the new Final Cut Pro X. Final Cut Pro X handles its tasks best using all the GPUs along with multi-threading capabilities, using up to 28 cores. An optional Afterburner card can be used to further accelerate production and editing by up to 6X faster.
- Multi-Cam Support: With a great multi-cam viewer and editor, users can add footage from up to 64 different angles, formats, frame rates and sizes. In the angle editor timelines, further edits such as color grading and trimming can be made.
- Motion and Compressor Features: Motion allows users to create sweeping graphics and add visual effects to create professional, high quality content in 2D and 3D. Compressor allows you to create export with custom settings and share your content across synced platforms such as iTunes.
- Advanced Color Grading: With professional curves for grading color and adjusting your tones, Final Cut Pro X has lots to offer in this area. Work with HDR (High Dynamic Range) footage as well as with 4K content and edit seamlessly with Final Cut Pro X.
Why Choose Final Cut Pro X? (PROS)
- 360-degree Virtual Reality Support, and plus Final Cut Pro X also has 360 patch tools, which work as a camera jig removal tool. It also has VR headset viewing support.
- The color wheels and color grading features on Final Cut Pro X are great. Achieving precise tones with highly accurate adjustments becomes a lot easier.
- Workspace customisation is possible, and it also automatically adjusts according to what you are doing in the project.
- Libraries are automatically sorted and arranged for easier access and so that users spend less time sorting and searching for their clips.
- Final Cut Pro X is not a good option for absolute beginners as they might find it slightly difficult to learn and use without tutorials/ guides.
What is unique about Final Cut Pro X?
Final Cut Pro X allows users to work with ProRes RAW files that are delivered straight from the camera, which means higher quality and minimum conversion losses.
You also get to edit RAW files with a variety of tools and can access all the flexibility that RAW file formats offer. ProRes preserves more image data, allowing you to edit and archive it efficiently.
Who’s it for?
Final Cut Pro X can be used by professional editors looking to create studio-quality content. Final Cut Pro X offers a wide range of features and supports various formats to provide an entire video editing suite. Beginners might find the learning curve a little steep, but can use the software with guides.
The Final Cut Pro X 2020 application can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $299.99 for a perpetual license. This is a one-time payment, and no additional payment will be required for future updates.
Wondershare Filmora proves to be software for everyone- really. Beginners can use it for basic video editing, and professionals can use it just as well; it’s got features to suit everyone.
The user-interface is familiar and functional enough, but certainly feels a little more refined compared to most of its competitors. It’s got features like automated scene detection, which does the lengthy job of splitting clips into smaller trims that are easier to work with.
Wondershare has an effect pack sized 1GB that is hosted on Google Drive, which can be used by designers as and when needed. Filmora also has an optional Fimstocks download, for $9.99/month which includes unlimited video effects.
Filmora offers professional tools for video editing at a much lower price, making them available to even beginners. It also has a library of NCS (No Copyright Sounds) that users can add to their videos for uploading to online media platforms.
- Color Editing and Tuning: Filmora offers advanced grading features such as editing temperature, saturation, tint, lighting, HSL and more. Also, 45 color presets are available and Filmora can load 3D LUTs (Lookup Tables) for precise tuning.
- GPU Acceleration is available to support newer processors and video cards for improved and optimised performance with the given resources.
- Lens Distortion can be corrected with the help of the Action-Cam tool. It also offers features like video stabilisation, motion speed control as well as audio de-noising.
- Instant Cutter: Easily trim files with minimal quality loss using Instant Cutter, which supports clips in formats like H.264 encoded MP4, .MOV, .MTS and even action camera shot footage.
- Easy Mode Functionality: Filmora’s Easy Mode really does make things easier. Pick and drag a few clips or photos, select a theme, add music and done. Fast and smooth video creation, with the feature to add custom sound files for your project.
- One of the cheapest licensed software to offer this kind of functionality.
- The libraries contain a variety of effects and audio tracks you can use in your project.
- 3D LUTs can be loaded and used for additional color grading features.
- Fast video rendering and transition speeds.
- Simple to learn and very easy to use software.
- Filmora does not provide motion tracking features.
- There is no video keyframe, color wheel, curves or waveforms either.
Filmora is a wonderfully easy to use video editing platform.
It offers adequate basic and advanced editing tools and though it is not nearly as powerful as top-of-the-line software such as Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro X, it still manages to give decent performance and features at a very nominal price, and a very easy learning curve.
Who’s it for?
Filmora is for anyone who is looking to produce causal video content for vlogs, YouTube videos or other such online media. It is not a professional studio quality producing program and for the price range it comes in, it gives all the features you may need for daily editing.
Wondershare Filmora is available as a lifetime purchase, with a one-time payment. This software can be purchased for both Windows and Mac devices for $69.99, with a 30-day money back guarantee.
DaVinci Resolve is a Non-Linear video editing (NLE) application for macOS, Windows, and Linux, developed by Blackmagic Design following its acquisition from original developer da Vinci Systems in 2009.
Blackmagic Design offers two different versions, a commercial (DaVinci Resolve Studio) and a free version named DaVinci Resolve.
DaVinci Resolve 16 is the flagship video editing platform that offers professional 8K footage editing, color grading, VFX and audio post production all in one integrated package.
Users can easily switch between audio, transitions, filters, and effects with a single click.
DaVinci Resolve Studio also offers advanced cloud-based working capabilities so multiple editors can collaborate on the same project in real-time.
- Dual Timeline: A revolutionary feature, Resolve’s Dual Timeline allows users to navigate through the edited frames without wasting time. Source Tape also lets you easily review and select tapes and add them to the timeline.
- Dedicated Trim Interface: Resolve’s new trimming interface allows editors to see both sides of the frame and edit accurately to help you create the perfect film.
- Intelligent Edit Modes: The software intelligently synchronizes clips and edits, and even arranges the clips in an intuitive way to help the user save time.
- Portable Editing: With a scalable interface which adapts to whichever device and resolution you are using, you can work on your edits anywhere.
- Facial Recognition: DaVinci’s Neural Engine detects faces in your footage and intelligently creates sections based on the people in your clips.
Why Choose DaVinci Resolve? (PROS)
- Faster 3D Performance with the new editing engine.
- GPU and Hardware acceleration is available for faster performance.
- Speed Warp Retiming to control the speed of the video.
- Keyframe Curve Editor with advanced editing functions.
- Frame.io Integration for enhanced capabilities.
- A high-end computer with powerful specs is needed for DaVinci’s advanced features to run properly.
- The learning curve is somewhat steep for the professional features.
What is unique about DaVinci Resolve?
Even the free version of Resolve is essentially a professional editing suite.
It offers studio-quality features for $0. Yes. You can have resolve 16 for free. And there is no other software that offers this kind of functionality and features at this price.
For those who want to go further, they have the option to upgrade to the paid version for even more advanced capabilities.
Who’s it for?
It depends. Since it’s free software, there’s no harm trying it out. There are multiple tutorials on the internet to help you out if you find it difficult to learn.
It certainly has more features than you will probably even need, but it’s still good to have the choice. It can also act as a great platform for you to develop your skillset. As it is, the commercial version is used even in Hollywood and by professionals all over the world.
BlackMagic DaVinci Resolve is available as a free version, with certain limitations, and a full-featured lifetime license for DaVinci Resolve Studio costs $299.00, with no monthly subscription fees or additional payments.
VideoStudio has been in the market for over a decade. It’s user friendly and easy software. Corel offers users all the standard video editing features one might need for intermediate level editing.
The new and updated version of Corel VideoStudio offers some functional and aesthetic upgrades as well. The UI has a darker layout with material icons. Support for high-definition footage is available as well.
There are different versions for VS available, with varying features such as VideoStudio Pro and VideoStudio Ultimate.
- 3D Title Editor: A fancy editing feature for annotations and titles in videos, the 3D title editor now they can be made with 3-D text and can be oriented along all three axes.
- Lens Correction Tools: VideoStudio allows users to correct fisheye distortion in footage shot using action cameras through its Lens Correction tools.
- New PiP Tools: Corel’s split-screen tools are improved and can be found in the Instant Movie tool, and now users can open images in Picture-in-Picture mode.
- MultiCam Capture: VS’s Multi-Cam capture tool lets you add up to 6 different camera angles and Multi-Cam Lite allows you to record using the computer screen and webcam.
- Visual Effects: VideoStudio offers a premium range of effects from NewBlueFX, BorisFX and ProDAD.
Why Choose Corel VideoStudio? (PROS)
- New high-quality visual FX packs from Prodad, NewBlue FX and Boris which adds around 500 new effect packs.
- The new multicam editor allows adding footage from up to 6 different camera angles.
- An updated video mask creator that works fast.
- A wider range of color grading features and a new color wheel in the Ultimate edition.
- 3D Titling Editor and an improved video stabilization engine.
- The keyframe capabilities are limited.
What is unique about Corel VideoStudio?
Corel VideoStudio Pro is an easy solution for taking your video footage from recording to producing quickly. It allows users to quickly input, organize, and trim SD or HD footage.
Beginners and advanced users alike can easily learn and use the software thanks to its functional and clean UI for editing. A great new feature update is direct sharing capabilities for platforms such as YouTube, Vimeo, and Facebook. The new versions also perform better in terms of processing speed and flow of navigation.
Who’s it for?
Amateur editors or people who want software for daily editing can use it easily. The software is easy to use and learn, hence also ideal for people who are looking to improve their editing skills.
On the other hand, it also offers decent features for professional editors so they can work on higher quality projects or films. There are multiple versions and there’s one to suit every kind of video editing need.
VideoStudio offers a 30 day free trial. After that, the VideoStudio Pro 2020 version can be purchased for $79.99. For those who want additional effects and functions, the VideoStudio Ultimate 2020 Edition can be bought for $99.99. The prices indicated here are for lifetime licenses.
7. Apple iMovie
Apple iMovie has long been a product with high standards and no compromise on quality. The initial release was in 1999 as video editing software for the macOS 8 which came with the first FireWire-enabled consumer mac model – the iMac DV.
Professionals and formal editors have used it globally. With iMovie for iOS and macOS, users get an editing experience like never before. The new iMovie makes it easier to browse and arrange clips and produce studio quality films and high-quality 4K-resolution movies.
Users can even start editing on iPhone or iPad, and continue working on their mac. Making Hollywood-style trailers is possible and easier with iMovie. The application supports all major formats and projects can be saved in a variety of extensions for working on different devices and platforms.
- Studio-Quality Text: With iMovie, users can add professional-looking and beautiful titles to their movies. You can control parameters such as sizing, color, font and formatting.
- High-Fidelity Filters: iMovie offers ten creative filters to enhance your video and add a layer of cinematic beauty. You can opt for vintage, grainy, monochrome or even a futuristic style.
- Special VFX: Motion effects such as Slo-Mo or lapse timing, and more such effects to play around with your frame rates make your films more exciting.
- Soundtrack Functionality: iOS features over 80 soundtracks that you can add to your video. They automatically adjust to the length of your video. Custom soundtracks can also be added to the project.
- Green-Screen Effects: Masking controls of the iMovie application can detect and control green-screens easily. This allows you to replace the green-screen with any other backgrounds.
Why Choose Apple iMovie? (PROS)
- Simple, functional and beautiful interface.
- Auto-Color Matching for multiple clips.
- Chroma-keying tools with great abilities.
- Soundtrack and audio tools work efficiently.
- Lots of direct media sharing options and support.
- No Multi-Cam or motion tracking abilities.
- 360-Degree video editing is not supported.
What is unique about Apple iMovie?
Being Apple’s stock movie-editing software, it works better than Window’s Movie Maker, and comes out as one of the best entry-level video editing software.
Even at this level though, iMovie supports 4K and HEVC format editing. It also has excellent features for color grading, green-screen manipulation and audio and narration.
The integration across iOS devices means projects opened on one device can be continued working on from other devices. A lot of basic yet functional features such as this make iMovie a strong contender.
Who’s it for?
Anyone looking for low-priced (practically free) software for their daily editing needs can use iMovie. Professionals will not find all the tools they require and hence they could probably look at Final Cut Pro X, which is considered as the best video editing software for Mac.
Apple iMovie is available on the Apple App Store for free, and can be downloaded for macOS devices, iPhones and iPads as well.
Initially known as Camtasia Studio and released in 2002, Camtasia is a video editing suite from publisher TechSmith. Its focus is on creating presentations or video tutorials through screen recording and direct plug-ins to Microsoft PowerPoint.
Camtasia consists of two modes: Recorder and Editor.
The recorder focuses on presentations and captures screen video and audio. Editor acts as a standard video editing platform. It’s a multimedia solution with timeline features and an editor with intelligent clip organisation and arrangement functions.
Users can work on post-production and rendering projects with Camtasia. The recorder feature directly captures A/V in the CAMREC format. In addition, it has features like automatic captions and STT (Speech-to-text).
The Camtasia Editor can work with all major multimedia formats such as MP4, MP3, WMV, WMA, AVI, WAV and many others. It has many features to make your video look professionally produced.
The hotkey functionality makes using the software much more efficient and faster.
- Video Templates: Camtasia offers multiple pre-built video templates to simplify transition and production time.
- Recorder Facilities: Camtasia allows you to record your screen and audio directly in high quality. Webcam recording is also supported.
- Visual Effects and Filters: Camtasia offers pre-built animations, transitions and filters that can be easily applied through drag-and-drop.
- Creating Quizzes: An unusual but great feature, Camtasia allows users to create interactive content such as quizzes.
- Direct Social Networking Uploads: Directly share to platforms such as YouTube, Vimeo, Screencast from within the software itself with instant uploads.
Why Choose TechSmith Camtasia? (PROS)
- Multi device editing functionality
- Smart organization and sorting of clips
- You can directly record your screen and audio in high quality.
- Cloud Connectivity and direct social media uploads.
- The keying performance can be improved; green-screen removal also takes some time to perfect.
What is unique about TechSmith Camtasia?
Camtasia is easy-to-learn and use software, and works great for basic video editing. Its main feature is the Recorder studio, which allows for clear and crisp audio-visual recording and presentations.
This isn’t software for heavy motion graphic editing and creating animated sequences. It’s still a capable application for daily editing and making videos for social media platforms.
Who’s it for?
Teachers, instructors and students, or even online tutors – anyone looking to make presentations or videos to reach out to online audience can use Camtasia.
It can also be used by video editors making films and movies with basic graphics and text edits.
TechSmith Camtasia can be purchased with a one-time payment of $249.00, which provides two installations per user. This works for both Windows and macOS devices.
An additional annual maintenance fee of $49.75 needs to be paid for regular software upgrades, including an update to the next version, Camtasia 2021.
9. HitFilm Express
HitFilm Express is an integrated video editing and VFX suite made for beginner video editors and amateurs who want to create and publish content. Designed with a clean and functional UI, HitFilm Express lets users import footage and edit it with filters, VFX and soundtracks.
The main selling point of HitFilm Express is that it is a free video editing platform. It supports both Windows and Mac systems and offers tutorials to help users learn and re-create clips and effects from popular films such as Westworld To Yuma, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and others.
With HitFilm Express, users can patch two clips or scenes together to create realistic shotgun effects; it also offers advanced tracking features to help you create iconic titles.
- Advanced Motion Tracking: Users can track the motion of moving objects in clips. With tracking, additional objects and effects can be added to replicate the same path or pattern of motion.
- Sky Replacement Tool: HitFilm provides users with a tool that they can use to detect and change the backdrop of their clips with. Any sort of background can be replaced with whatever the user selects, like a mountain range or a backdrop of city skylines.
- Masking And Layering Features: HitFilm Express also allows gives users masking and layering tools that can be used to create duplicates of characters or objects in clips to create troops or armies etc.
- 3D Models: With HitFilm Express, you can now animate 3D models. Users can import and animate their 3D models to produce Hollywood-style sci-fi films with renders of objects that might not even exist in real life.
- Sci-Fi VFX: With HitFilm Express, editors can re-create graphic effects such as Iron Man’s iconic HUD (heads-up display). Additional effects include muzzle flash and portal effects that make this platform great for creating films with visual effects and even sci-fi films.
Why Choose HitFilm Express? (PROS)
- Advanced Tracking And Screen Simulation
- Sky Removal Tool
- Advanced 3D animations and titles
- Masking and Layering Features
- Beautiful and functional user interface
- The learning curve is a bit steep.
- High-system requirements for the functioning of advanced editing feature properly.
What is unique about HitFilm Express?
Perhaps one of the best things about HitFilm Express is the fact that it gives you all these advanced features and fast and smooth performance free of cost.
Yes, this is a free video editing and creation platform. There are additional effect packs that can be purchased for about $10-$15 and provide some really high-quality filters and effects.
The software has a clean and beautiful UI and has decently good performance considering the transition and production time. It is definitely worth a try.
Who’s it for?
HitFilm Express can be used by almost anyone. It has amazing effects and editing features which can even be used to recreate popular sequences from Hollywood films with the extended VFX and soundtrack editing capabilities.
Beginners might find the learning curve slightly steep, but tutorials are available in the software itself to help them learn and use it.
This is free software. There is no license purchase required. However, certain additional effect and audio packs may be purchased for enhanced features and editing; these cost anywhere between $10.00-$15.00 per pack, and combined bundle packs cost around $50.00.
10. AVS Video Editor
AVS Video Editor 9.3 is a great video editing platform created by Online Media Technologies Ltd. It is included with the AVS4YOU software suite which offers video, audio, image editing and format conversion, disc editing and burning, document conversion and registry cleaner programs.
AVS helps you edit videos in a standard way, with all basic features. It however, does not have advanced features such as 360-Degree video editing or automation. For audio editing, it does offer a highly functional MIDI music editor and drum machine in an application extension.
The workspace offers both timeline and storyboard forms of editing.
The timeline shows length-wise project elements and allows you to make precise edits. The storyboard view is more simplified, as it gives the editor an overview of each clip or object, regardless of length. Switching between the two is easily possible without disturbing any of the existing edits.
- Edit Videos with Fantasy: The all-new AVS Video Editor allows you to trim, cut, split, merge, rotate and mix videos. Users can select from over 300 innovative VFX and transition effects. Shaky footage can also be stabilised.
- Faster HD Video Editing: Users can edit videos in formats such as: AVI HD, WMV HD, TOD, AVCHD, MOD, MTS/M2TS and more. Due to the integrated video cache technology, faster HD video edits are possible.
- Video Recording: Videos can be transferred from DV/HDV cameras, webcams or VHS cameras and saved on the HDD or burnt to DVD discs. Videos can be recorded and edited in-situ.
- Slideshow and Presentation Features: AVS Video Editor allows you to record special and memorable events and create great slideshows from them. Users can Import images, mix their voice or custom soundtracks, and add captions and enhanced VFX and transitions.
- Blu-ray Editing Support: Blu-ray videos can be opened and edited with AVS Video Editor. Editors can add effects and more. There are a large number of templates, filters and effects to choose from.
Why Choose AVS Video Editor? (PROS)
- Easy to learn and use, with an extensive set of tutorials and guides.
- Supports a wide range of multimedia formats.
- Screen Recording and Screen Capture are available.
- Supports only one video track.
- Lacks features that software in the same price range offer.
What is unique about AVS Video Editor?
AVS Video Editor comes as a package included in the AVS4YOU bundle. This offers around 11 multimedia tools depending on the version you purchase.
The main USP of AVS Video Editor is the simplicity and ease-of-use it offers, which means learning and using this software is really easy, even for beginners.
The other great thing is the extensive feature library which contains a variety of visual effects, soundtracks and text editing tools.
Who’s it for?
AVS, being a complete software suite can be used to meet daily and basic video editing requirements.
It is a highly simple and easy application to use and navigate in. There are plenty of guides and tutorials within the software to help new users. It lacks advanced features so professionals looking for advanced editing can perhaps consider some other software.
Pricing plans indicated here are for the AVS4YOU suite which includes five main programs. A one year access subscription costs $69.00 and the unlimited access subscription costs $199.00, which gives the user lifetime access.
11. Movavi Video Editor
Movavi Video Editor is designed for video editors of all levels who want to easily create and convey through videos. Movavi is a low priced video editor with a free version as well.
It offers an intuitive user-interface and lots of editing tools. Their main selling point is the simplicity of use and the easy learning process. They claim any user can learn the editor in 20 minutes and edit using their best features.
Movavi Video Editor gives users a variety of editing tools that help them create visually all their creative ideas. It offers a varying number of filters, animations, smooth transitions, and many more special VFX to enhance your videos.
Movavi Video Editor also provides you with fancy title fonts and pre-made templates for added cinematic effects.
- Titles and Transitions Effects: The Movavi Effects Store offers you impressive title fonts, transition effects, animated graphics, filters, and a range of extra content created by professional editors and designers.
- Chroma Key: Extensive functionality is provided for changing backgrounds for your green screen effects. Movavi also gives Chroma-key features.
- Improved Stabilization: Movavi Video Editor allows you to stabilize your video and remove any shaky motions that are in the footage.
- Movie in Movie: Drawing from the PiP (Picture-in-Picture) functionality, Movavi allows you to overlap videos with multiple angles to make a continuous video, with commentary.
- Built-in Audio Editing: Movavi has multiple audio-editing options and a library of pre-existing soundtracks that can be added to your video as well.
Why Choose Movavi Video Editor? (PROS)
- Processing speed is really good.
- Lots of transitions and animations effects.
- Easy to learn and use.
- The Chroma-key function works really well.
- Color grading becomes difficult due to lack of adequate features.
What makes Movavi Video Editor unique?
Movavi Video Editor is a low-priced, easy to learn software platform that allows users to carry out their basic to intermediate editing processes without any issues.
For users who want advanced functions, Movavi offers two versions of their video editor, Movavi Video Editor for standard users, and Movavi Video Editor Plus for users who want more complex functions.
It also offers well-designed transitions and effects which can be added to the video easily, as well as a library of audio tracks that enhance the overall appeal of your video and the transitions and production time is fast, allowing quick video creation.
Who’s it for?
Movavi can be used by anyone, it is simple enough to be used by beginners or amateurs who are learning video editing, and the Plus version has advanced functionality for professional users looking to produce higher-quality content.
The Movavi Video Editor comes in a variety of versions and two purchase plans, for personal use, or for business use. It offers a free version as well which can be downloaded from their website directly.
The standard edition Movavi Video Editor costs $39.95 for a personal license and $79.95 for the business version. The Video Editor Plus version can be purchased for $59.95 (personal license) and $119.95 (business license).
12. Pinnacle Studio
Pinnacle Studio is a video editing program by initially published by Pinnacle Systems. Pinnacle Studio is one of the oldest video editing platforms there is.
In 2005, Pinnacle Systems acquired Munich-based FAST Multimedia and Pinnacle integrated the code platform of FAST’s editing software, and released Pinnacle Studio 10.
Corel acquired the brand in 2012, and has since made multiple changes and added lots of exciting features. In 2019, they released Pinnacle Studio 23, their most advanced and fastest video editing software yet.
With the latest version, users get complete control with advanced keyframe features to precisely tune every detail of their clips, and add transitions and effects. It also supports unlimited clips in HD and 4K.
- Intuitive and precise timeline editing: Pinnacle Studio allows you to edit HD or 4K video projects with unlimited tracks and multiple camera angles. Use the intuitive tools color correction and grading, adding VFX, and adjusting parameters on the timeline.
- Custom Workspace: With Pinnacle Studio, users can customize and personalize their workspace and place toolkits where they like to improve efficiency and save time while editing.
- Enhanced Keyframe control: With precise keyframe controls, users can customize every detail of their transitions and effects with accuracy and control. You can adjust the speed of a clip or change the motion of an object.
- New Video Masks: Video Masks are a great tool for making edits and basic fixes from face blurring and subject enhancement, to professional edits such as removing unwanted objects, creating duplicates and more.
- Motion Tracking: Pinnacle Studio offers Motion Tracking functionality to identify and track subjects with precision. Mark your object, press play to track its motion, and then easily add the overlay of your choice.
Why Choose Pinnacle Studio? (PROS)
- Time Remapping offers features like slow-mo, freeze frame, speed-up and reverse functions.
- Dynamic split screen videos can be made. 360-Degree editing is also offered.
- Multi-Cam support.
- Chroma-key, lens correction and selective color offer great editing options.
- NewBlue FX Premium Effects come with the software.
- Difficult to use by absolute beginners.
- High system requirements needed to properly use all the advanced features.
What is unique about Pinnacle Studio?
Pinnacle Studio is one of the oldest software in this field, and it has constantly evolved over the years to become one of the best video editing software in the market today.
It offers a great set of tools to create pro-level edits and produce cinematic films as well as day-to-day movies for online blogs or social media. It is a versatile platform and has a smooth and customisable interface.
Pinnacle Studio proves to be fast and highly stable and reliable software for video editing and post-production. With support for 4K, 360-Degree video and Multi-Cam clips, it really can be called a value-for-money video editing solution.
Who’s it for?
Given the number of features it offers and the learning curve it has, I would not say it is for absolute beginners. This software can be best used by intermediate to professional editors and create some really high-quality films with it.
The price for purchasing a perpetual license to Pinnacle Studio 23 is $59.95 which offers 1500+ effects, with a 30-day money back guarantee.
PowerDirector focuses on YouTubers, Vloggers & Instagrammers. PowerDirector 365 gives you all the fast, high-end performance tools you need for your video creation process a long learning process.
With exciting new features & a wide range of format support, PowerDirector is the solution to your online content creation needs.
Cyberlink PD is a very efficient and flexible editing platform. Beginners can create videos and slideshows easily. The UI is very easy to work with and offers a wide range of formats for its price.
PowerDirector comes in several versions: single user perpetual licenses, bundles and a subscription version. The Ultimate version offers additional advanced features, more content in libraries and extra VFX.
CyberLink’s PowerDirector 365 is the annual subscription version and includes quarterly updates. Also on offer is a Director Suite subscription, which includes PowerDirector (video), PhotoDirector (photography), AudioDirector (audio) and ColorDirector for color grading, in one bundle.
- Customized Shape Objects: Users can apply and edit custom or pre-built vector shapes with automatically fitting text and cool keyframe controls. You can choose from a wide range of text editing options and fonts in Shape Designer, making it an all-in-one solution for YouTube and Instagram videos.
- Title Reveal Mask: With PowerDirector, users can control how title animations work and appear in videos with this innovative tool that allows you to reveal titles through a mask for your videos.
- 1:1 Square Video for Instagram & Facebook: Another great feature for online content creators, PowerDirector allows you to produce videos directly in a square (1:1) viewing ratio, and even vertical videos for social media stories and posts.
- Multi-key Sampling Chroma Key Editing: The new and improved Chroma-key editing engine allows you to perform Hollywood-style green screen editing and manipulation and also improve it with multi-key color sampling.
- Advanced Motion Tracking: To provide users 100% tracking accuracy for their subjects, PD’s improved motion tracking engine gives precise control with frame-by-frame motion tracking.
- Square video editing, 1:1 aspect ratio for direct social media uploads in high-quality.
- Improved track-order flexibility which helps beginners.
- New text effects and motion graphic titles for creative text in videos.
- Quarterly updates from Corel provide new effects and features.
- 4K video editing is part of the Ultimate version only.
- Lack of advanced audio editing features in the standard version.
The new Ultimate version provides audio scrubbing features, and 4K video editing as well. Users can also activate PiP modes and a dual preview, which gives HD previews plus a second window displaying library contents.
Editors can also choose to display two mini-audio meters along with viewing the preview. Additionally, you can also customise the workspace by undocking toolkits and placing them according to your preferences for improved efficiency and navigation.
Who’s it for?
PowerDirector can be used by video editors of all kinds and experience.
The great part being that PD is available in multiple versions, and based on your requirements, you can select which version is best for you – and you pay accordingly as well.
To help beginners, the software contains in-house tutorials and guides, as well as highly advanced features for expert users.
The PowerDirector 365 software suite, which includes PowerDIrector Ultimate 18, can be purchased as an annual subscription license for $69.99, or as a monthly subscription license for $19.99/month.
14. VEGAS PRO
Vegas Pro is a high-quality professional video editing software platform for non-linear editing (NLE) originally developed by Sonic Foundry, then by Sony Creative Software, and now by Magix. This is a Windows based application.
Vegas Pro offers users real-time multi-track video and audio editing. It supports unlimited tracks, resolution-independent clip sequencing and more. One of the main features of Vegas Pro has always been its advanced audio editing tools, which are some of the best in the industry.
With studio quality 28-bit/192 kHz audio editing, users also get VST and DirectX plug-in effects as well as Dolby Digital surround sound mixing.
In 2016, Magix acquired Vegas Pro from Sony, and has since added a lot of improved features and performance upgrades. Let’s take a look at some of the highlights and key features.
- Advanced NLE Functions: Vegas offers some of the best-in-class editing features such as: Video stabilization, Planar Motion Tracking, Nested Timelines, Dynamic storyboard and timeline interaction, and much more.
- Bézier Masking OFX-Plug-in: Editors can use the Bézier Masking plug-in, to create up to 5 different masks, picking oval, rectangle or creating custom shapes. Additional effects such as tilt-shift and separately applying color grading and correction etc. can also be used simultaneously.
- Multi-Cam Editing: Vegas Pro provides functionality to add and edit footage from unlimited camera angles. You can also edit velocity envelopes by reversing (100%) and up to 10 x-speeds (1000%) forward.
- Complete HDR color support: With Vegas Pro’s industry leading HDR tools, color grading and correction becomes much easier and more precise. Vegas Pro supports HDR10 and HLG, and follows the new ACES 1.1 color standards.
- Additional VFX: New and upgraded VFX suites include the Boris FX pack, which gives Continuum Lens Flare 3D, Blend Unit and Continuum 3D Objects unit, and more such.
Why Choose Vegas Pro? (PROS)
- Extensive editing and rendering features, with Warp Flow transition and Mesh Warp with pin-point accuracy and control.
- The OpenFX architecture provides third-party plug-ins and effects, with a large number of innovative effects and studio-quality cinematic filters.
- Multi-track audio environment gives users a powerful audio editing solution with surround sound support and High-Res output.
- Audio sync for multi-cam clips saves valuable time and automatically synchronizes footage using audio waveform matching.
- Steinberg SpectraLayers provides professional level, visual audio data with ARA2 compatibility and powerful and fast editing, import and export.
- This software is expensive, and focuses on professional production.
- Beginners might find it difficult to use.
What is unique about Vegas Pro?
One of the outstanding features of Vegas Pro is the ability to edit 8K (UHD) files, by converting them to 4K or HD and scaling it back up to 8K for fast and seamless high definition edits.
With technical features such as GPU and hardware acceleration, modern NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards, as well as Intel’s QSV technology can be optimised for performance, production and editing time and speed.
This software offers state-of-the-art features and performance, which can be used to their maximum potential by expert users to create professional films and movies in stunning resolutions and quality.
Who’s it for?
Vegas Pro is an expensive platform, and though it is available in different versions, they are best suited to experienced users. Novices might face difficulties in learning and using the software. However, given the performance you get, it might be worth putting in the effort to learn the software.
The VEGAS Pro application can be purchased as a standalone app for $599.00, which gives you a lifetime license. This purchase also includes NewBlue Transitions 5 Flow and Boris FX Continuum Title Studio Unit.
15. NCH VideoPad
NCH Videopad is a free video editing program for basic to mid-level editing in minutes. This software offers over 50 visual and transition effects for a creative touch to your films. It is an extremely easy to learn and fast software.
It offers drag and drop facility of video clips for easy editing. You can apply effects and transitions; add text and audio from existing libraries. Films can be burned down to DVD and Blu-ray discs or exported online. Videopad is available on both Windows and macOS.
NCH VideoPad is free for non-commercial use and doesn’t add watermarks to your finished projects when you export them.
NCH Software offers WavePad for advanced audio editing as part of the larger NCH Suite of multimedia production applications. Other software included are Prism, (video conversion), Express Burn, which allows disc burning and Videopad.
- Stunning Video Transitions and Effects: Users can select transitions from an extensive range of effects. 3D video editing and 2D to 3D stereoscopic conversion is also supported. You can also import and edit 360-degree videos.
- Pure Digital Audio Tools: Users can import and mix audio tracks using various sound effects such as choral, echo, distortion etc. Users can also make their custom soundtrack using MixPad, a multi-track mixing platform.
- Complete Video Optimization: VideoPad offers precise color correction and other VFX. Motion control such as slow-motion, speed up or reverse playback is also available. Users also get video stabilisation and lossless output for high-quality films.
- Direct Sharing Options: Videos can be shared online or directly uploaded to YouTube and other such platforms. Users can also save videos to PSP, iPod, iPhone or 3GP mobile devices. Export resolutions include HD, 2K, 4K, 720p, 1080p, 1440p and more.
- Advanced Editing Features: NCH offers VP users the functionality to layout their video clips in layers. Another great editing feature is the green-screen control using Chroma-key. And these features are easy to understand and use.
Why Choose NCH VideoPad? (PROS)
- Great audio editing and sound amplification features.
- Fast and simple editing, decent features at the price range.
- Supports 3D, 4K and 360-degree video editing.
- Easy to directly share videos to online media platforms.
- Lacks advanced features like motion tracking.
- The effects libraries could be improved/extended to include more effects and transitions.
What is unique about NCH VideoPad?
The great thing about NCH VideoPad is that it works on both Windows and macOS systems. Even iPhone/iPad users with iOS 6.0 or higher can use the software.
This software can also be purchased on a license basis, subscription basis or as an entire software suite. This allows users with different requirements to use the software, and pay accordingly.
At the price range this software comes in, the performance and features are quite good, and since they also offer a free version, it is worth trying this program.
Who’s it for?
Anyone interested in basic video editing and creating daily videos for online blogs or websites can use this software. Individuals or businesses can also use this, as it offers a variety of purchase plans and versions to suit everyone.
NCH VideoPad comes in two editions, Home and Master Edition. It can also be purchased as license or subscription based software.
The price for Perpetual License to NCH VideoPad for the Master Edition is $99.00 and for the Home Edition it is $60.00.
For those users who want to buy a subscription to NCH VideoPad have to pay $18.99/month for the Master’s Edition Monthly Plan and $2.77/month for the Master’s Edition Quarterly Plan. The Home Edition is only available as a licensed plan.
16. Shotcut Video Editor
Shotcut is a free, open-source, cross-platform video editing software program. Shotcut provides excellent features absolutely free of cost, with no hidden payments, no ads, no adware/malware and no annoying watermarks. It’s available for Windows, Mac and Linux devices.
The user-interface may seem overly simple at first, but once you click on the toolbox at the top, you will realise that the software has a lot of extra menus and toolkits that can be added to the workspace according to your needs. This keeps your window clutter-free and clean, improving efficiency.
For all those editors looking for a free video editor to start learning video editing or perhaps to create casual videos fast (and not with Windows Movie Maker) will find Shotcut to be a great solution. This open-source program gives you all the tools that you liked in Movie Maker, plus certain added features and smoother performance.
- Extensive Format Support: Shotcut supports various formats and resolutions such as: 4K, ProRes, DNxHD, and all major photo and audio formats as well.
- Advanced Audio Editing Features: Users get a waveform editor and spectrum analyser, in addition to other features. Audio mixing across multiple tracks and channels and filters and cross-fading features are also provided.
- Wide Range of Video Effects: Three-way color wheels for color correction and grading. Deinterlacing, video wipe transitions, track compositing, video filters and video speed control features are available to make your editing experience more professional.
- Timeline and Editing Functions: Shotcut provides easy and smooth editing operations. With features such as 3-point editing, scrubbing and transport control, keyframe, MLTXML format support and great performance, Shotcut proves to be powerful editing software.
- Cross-Platform and Codec Independence: Shotcut works on Windows, macOS and Linux. It is also codec independent, so doesn’t rely on system codecs. Moreover, it can directly be run as a standalone application from external drives.
Why Choose Shotcut Video Editor? (PROS)
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI support for input.
- Flexible and customisable UI; improves working efficiency.
- Shotcut supports stereo, mono and 5.1 surround sound.
- Advanced filters that can be used for quick production and customisation.
- Wide range of import and export formats and resolutions.
- Cross-Platform and free software, with great features and performance.
- Does not support direct social media uploading.
- Motion Tracking is not available.
What is unique about Shotcut Video Editor?
Surely, the main point here is that Shotcut is absolutely free to use, and is open-source as well, which means developers have the freedom to constantly debug and improve the software.
Another great thing about Shotcut is the number of features it provides, in addition to being customisable and easy to use. The production process is also quick, with lots of transitions and filters that can be easily added to your clips.
Shotcut users also get a variety of formats and resolutions that can be imported and exported, and edited. This is definitely one of the best free video editors in the market today.
Who’s it for?
Shotcut can be used by users with all kinds of video editing requirements, but being free software, its functionality is naturally limited.
Expert users looking to create or produce professional films might not find all the features they need. For novice and intermediate users, this is a great choice.
This is absolutely free-of-cost software, with no hidden payments. It can be directly downloaded from the Shotcut website for free and installed on Windows, macOS and Linux systems.
17. VSDC Video Editor
VSDC Video Editor is a free and simple yet powerful video editing platform for users who want to create videos with complex visual and audio effects, and editing clips to make movies.
This software is a non-linear (NLE) video editor, which allows users to access and edit clips in a non-linear arrangement. VSDC is a non-commercial application. It is developed and published by Flash-Integro LLC.
Also, this software can quickly convert video and audio files from one format to another. It also offers functions to burn the files directly on to a DVD.
VSDC Free Video Editor comes with a variety of VFX as well as rich audio effects that can be added to your project easily. It also provides direct media sharing to social media and video-sharing sites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Vimeo.
Below, we have listed some of VSDC’s main features and highlights.
- Non-Linear Video Editing: VSDC Video Editor uses an advanced technology known as non-linear video editing (NLE). Through this, users can access any frame and scene at any point in their footage.
- Extensive Range of VFX: With VSDC, users can select from a large number of video effects to add to their projects. These effects include: color grading, filters, transition effects, and special VFX.
- Apply Audio Effects: VSDC allows audio enhancements and editing with sound normalization, volume correction, echo, reverberation, equalizer, and more.
- Custom Mask Creation: Masking can be really helpful while editing. With VSDC, you can create custom masks with different shapes and apply them to certain areas in your video.
- Charts and 3D Diagrams: With VSDC, users can create custom 3D diagrams and charts such as Stacked bar, Gantt chart, funnel, pyramid 3D, radar point, and scatter line. These can be easily added to their videos.
Why Choose VSDC Video Editor? (PROS)
- Non-Linear Video Editing functionality.
- Custom video effects can be created by combining multiple stock effects.
- Masking with sub-pixel accuracy is possible.
- 3D Charts and diagrams can be made easily.
- HD and 3D video is supported.
- Multi-cam and motion tracking aren’t available.
- In-software tutorials and guides are very few.
What is unique about VSDC Video Editor?
Firstly, VSDC Video Editor is completely free, and doesn’t include any hidden features that require payment. It also receives regular updates with extra features and bug-fixes.
The latest version works faster and includes a video stabilization tool. It also supports direct upload to YouTube and other media platforms, even Instagram.
Who’s it for?
Since this is non-commercial software, it is meant to be used by individuals for personal editing use.
Given the features and performance of this free software, it is designed mainly for daily editing and casual use, but it lacks certain professional features that advanced users might require.
This is a free to use, non-commercial software program; this means it cannot be used for businesses and institutions, but can be used for individual purposes or at home. The free version does not contain any watermarks.
VSDC Video Editor Pro Version cost you $ 19.99
18. Lightworks Video Editor
Lightworks Editor has been available in the market for over 25 years and has been considered a pioneer in video and film editing. Lightworks video editor is one of the most powerful free video editors in the market today.
With the Lightworks latest version, users get a complete creative video package. Users can create films for social media and directly upload them to YouTube, or even work with 4K resolution projects.
Although the UI is a little unusual, and this software has a bit of a learning curve, once you learn it, editing becomes a really quick and easy process. Lightworks free software brings premium FX and features to everyone.
Lightworks enables direct social media upload by associating your accounts with the Lightworks app. It is also available on Windows, macOS and Linux platforms. Let’s take a look at some of its key features.
- Unmatched format support: Lightworks offers the widest range of format support available in any professional NLE. MXF, Quicktime and AVI containers, with formats such ProRes, Avid DNxHD, AVC-Intra, DVCPRO HD, RED R3D, DPX, AVCHD (with AC3 audio), H.264, XDCAM EX / HD 422, all in real-time.
- Multi-Cam Editing: With Lightworks, users can add footage from different camera angles. The auto-edit feature can automatically create a film using the imported clips.
- Boris Graffiti Text Effects: You can now enhance your creative process with 2D & 3D Title Animations with hundreds of presets. Boris Graffiti works with Lightworks on both Windows 64bit and Mac OS X providing high resolution vector text, automated rolls, crawl, fade, zoom, True 3D Text with 3D lighting, reflection, bump maps and other features.
- Enhanced VFX with Boris FX: This excellent and innovative FX plugin works offers a library browser with multiple preset animations, a variety of media layers with resolution independent (NDVPS) non-destructive vector paint system.
- World class Trimming for fast precision editing: Lightworks offers simple, yet powerful and intuitive trimming features that allow users to trim and edit videos quickly with ease.
Why Choose Lightworks Video Editor? (PROS)
- A professional-level video editor which is free of cost.
- Extensive range of import and export formats and resolutions.
- Creative effects with Boris FX and Boris 3D Graffiti.
- Direct media upload functionality to social media platforms.
- The interface might be difficult to navigate around for beginners.
- Lack of tutorials and guides in the software which can be improved.
What is unique about Lightworks Video Editor?
Lightworks video editor is a free software platform that allows for fast and powerful video editing.
The great thing about this is that it can be run on Windows, macOS and Linux devices. It is a highly integrated application with third-party plugins that can be loaded and accessed directly from the program.
Lightworks also has an auto-save feature, so you don’t have to worry about losing your work. Finding all these features in a free application really make this a strong competitor for the best video editing software.
Who’s it for?
This software serves a wide range of users, from all major OS platforms, and it’s free, so everyone can download and try it. There exists a paid, premium version as well, which can be purchased or upgraded to.
Since the free version is for non-commercial use, it is meant for individual use and not for business organizations, commercial ventures or institutions. The lack of guided tutorials might make this software slightly difficult for beginners to learn.
The Lightworks Video Editor is available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X systems. Lightworks offers a free version as well. For users who want to purchase the Lightworks Pro software, it is available as a monthly and yearly subscription based program.
The cost for the subscription is $24.99/month. The annual license costs $174.99, which works as a one-time payment for the entire year.
What Are The Features That Make The Perfect Video Editing Software?
 Format Support
One of the most important factors is that the software should support all major formats and allow import and export in these with all resolution qualities. If this is not the case, you will spend more time in format conversion than editing, which will quickly become tiring.
 Non – Linear Editing
Another great feature found in the best video editing software is NLE (Non-Linear Editing), which allows non-sequential sorting and editing of your clips, another great feature to save time and work better.
 Motion Tracking
To create professional films and get all those advanced cinematic scenes, motion tracking is a necessity. This allows users to detect and identify motion pattern of a subject and replicate that to other objects or subjects.
 Audio Editing
The real impact of a story can be enhanced manifold by a good soundtrack. All of the best video editing software come with advanced audio editing tools to normalize loudness levels, filter, scrub and EQ their sound.
Sound libraries with existing sound files or mixing platforms are great options, as they allow you to add NCS (No Copyright Music) files or custom audio tracks to your project.
 Multi-Cam and Multi-Track
These days, all pro-shot footage, for example, from a concert or a football match is shot through multiple cameras. To edit and make a movie from all these different cameras and angles, you need multi-cam support in the software.
To work with all these clips, the best software can auto-arrange and sync the audio files with their video clips for easy sorting and editing.
How to Choose Best Video Editing Software
Confused with the hundreds of software on the internet? What really makes good video editing software, great? What sets it apart from the rest? Read our video editing software comparison, where we have discussed some of the main factors that you should consider to choose the best video editing software.
This is a good place to start, and should narrow down your range of options considerably. Some apps are really cheap, but they may have limited features, poor performance, and support only a few file extensions.
 Learning Curve/ User- Friendliness
It doesn’t make sense to research and discuss for a long time, settle on editing software, purchase it, and then spend months trying to work your way around it. You should be able to master it soon enough and start producing content as soon as possible.
What exactly is it that you need the video editor for? The answer to this will help you find the one that works best for you.
Video editing can be highly subjective, and so what you expect from a program might be different from someone else’s needs.
Professional editing software might not be what you need and you may end up wasting money on features you won’t even need.
On the other hand, you might purchase software that doesn’t get your work done and leaves you frustrated and tired.
 Minimum System Requirements
Make sure you check the system requirements of any software you are considering purchasing. Some of the programs have really high requirements and with your current specifications, your computer might not be able to run those at full performance.
If you are looking for software to work even slightly professionally with, make sure to consider what features you’ll need and whether the software is offering those.
Basic and free applications rarely have much beyond the basic crop, filters, trimming and audio-related features. But if you’re looking to create quality content, make sure the software offers at least:
- Color Grading
- Tone correction
- Visual Effects
- Audio extraction and replacement
- Multi-cam/ Pro-Shot editing
- Motion Tracking
 Customer Support
Software customer support can be really useful when you experience technical glitches.
Which Is the Best and Easiest Video Editing Software?
For windows users, the best video editing software for PC would be Adobe Premiere Pro. This is the natural choice. For anyone looking for the best video editing software, look no further. Premiere Pro is currently used by thousands of users across the world.
The reason for this is: You can work with an unlimited number of video tracks, which can be imported from almost any source in all resolutions and formats. The automatic synchronization system works efficiently to deal with multi-cam footage, and with the studio-level editing tools and features, you can create professional films with almost no limitations.
With additional Adobe Premiere Rush functionality, users can work with videos shot on their phone and edit on any device, anytime. Premiere Pro can be purchased as a standalone app, but you might consider getting the entire Creative Cloud Suite for an unlimited and integrated editing experience.
What Is the Best Video Editing Software for Beginners?
For beginners and novice editors, simplicity, ease-of-use and elegance is what you look for before getting video editing software. Look no further than Apple iMovie. iMovie offers some of the most intuitive and creative hi-fi filters, which are extremely easy to add and produce films with.
With AirDrop, seamlessly transfer files between different Apple devices. iMovie also offers a Chroma-key tool, which is a great green-screen editing tool. For custom soundtracks, you can link up your GarageBand with iMovie. Easy export options include direct uploads to all major social networking sites. With multiple in-house tutorials and guides, beginners can easily master this application.
For Windows users, the best video editing software for beginners is Corel VideoStudio.
This is an extremely simple and intuitive video editing for beginners. And yet, it is extremely powerful, functional, and performs fast. To help novice users learn quickly, it includes a variety of tutorials and helpful guides on how to use the software.
Corel VideoStudio features a basic yet clean and functional UI that supports a wide array of features, and is also customizable. The great features of VS include a custom mask creator applying effects selectively, time re-mapping features as well as 360-degree video support.
Now we have seen some of the best video editing software in the industry today.
For you to select one, the most important factors have been discussed in detail. As you may realise, it is not just the software alone that creates good films. The secret behind any good movie is true expression and conveying your story through art.
And to do this well, the software apps are here to help you. So go on, select the best application for you from our video editing software comparison and start your journey into filmmaking.